When the weather starts to get cold, there is nothing better than a hot bowl of delicious soup!
I absolutely love soups and for that reason I have started to make my own a lot more. Recently, I tried a new soup recipe that turned out fantastic and one I will be sure to make again!
*Ps… excuse the terrible photo, my resources were limited at the time!
Crockpot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup
Makes 8 servings
5-6 hours on low
28oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup finely diced celery
1 cup finely diced carrots
1 cup finely diced onions
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup half and half (warmed)
salt & pepper to taste
1. Add tomatoes, celery, carrots, chicken broth, onions, oregano and basil to slow cooker.
2. Place on Low for 5-6 hours.
3. Approximately 30 minutes before serving prepare a roux. For a roux, melt butter over low heat in a skillet and add flour slowly. Stir with whisk until smooth, which can take up to 5 minutes. Slowly stir in 1 cup of soup to the roux. Add another 3 cups of the soup slowly until contents in skillet are smooth. Place the skillet contents back in the slow cooker.
4. Add Parmesan cheese, warmed half and half and salt and pepper.
5. If desired, add more basil and oregano to taste.