With the start of any new year, there is no shortage of health and fitness goals!
If you follow me on Instagram, you would have noticed I was doing a little baking over the weekend. In the spirit of eating clean, I baked Banana Blueberry muffins with no flour or sugar added. I have tried various “healthy” muffin recipes in the past, none of which are as moist as the ones I made on the weekend.
Ry and I recently made a trip to Costco and while we were there we picked up a bag of Hemp Hearts, which are hemp seeds that you can use to cook with to add a lot of nutrition to your meals. Hemp seeds don’t have a funny after taste like a lot of “added” nutritional seeds or powders, I would recommend trying them if you haven’t!
Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins
2 ripe bananas
1 (generous) cup of blueberries
½ cup of Honey
2 tsp Baking powder
½ tsp Baking soda
½ tsp Salt
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups Oats
½ cup Hemp Seed (optional)- If you are taking this out, add more Oats
¼ cup Olive Oil
¾ cup Greek Yogurt
- Preheat oven at 400 F
- Spray muffin tin or line with paper cups
- In large bowl, mix bananas, yogurt, honey, olive oil and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix oats, hemp seed, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix both bowls together and add blueberries.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins. (*Note: the muffins do not rise as much as normal muffins due to the oats/hemp seed, fill to the top)
- Bake for 35-40 minutes and let cool for 10-15 minutes on a rack.
To make the type of muffins I wanted, I had to combine two different recipes together. Good luck and let me know how you like them!